Also read the notes for Beta 2!
Beta 2b is a simple maintenance upgrade to Beta 2, but it has one new feature: the Navigation Block Assistant. A Navigation Block is a section of links to other pages at your site, usually at the top, bottom or in the left margin of a page. Many sites that consist of more than a few pages have such nagivation blocks.
The Navigation Block Assistant enables webmasters to
- ... design navigation blocks that will be automatically customized for the page they're placed on. Which means the link to the page itself can be changed in normal text, a specially colored picture, etc.
- ... easily update a site with redesigned navigation blocks by simply recompiling pages. A navigation block is just a special kind of editor side include. (See the general remarks below and the screen capture for more on editor side includes).
Beta 2 is an important upgrade because it introduces a new data structure for saving project information. Starting with beta 2 each project will store its data in its own folder. The new data structure has two serious consequences:
- You need to delete anansi.ini and all your Px.ini files. If you don't like throwing away what you've got then just make a copy of the folder containing Anansi.
- As the new data structure required a partial rewrite of the Upload Manager the opportunity has been taken to do a complete rewrite of the Upload Manager. Extensive tests have been done to rule out any bugs here, but please keep in mind that Anansi 2.0 is still in beta.
All previously reported bugs have been fixed. There are currently no known bugs except for some weird wrapping of the editor resulting in parts of the last word on a line disappearing into the right margin.
The search and replace functions are disabled and will be working again in Beta 3.
Anansi 2.0 in general
- Expected enhancements for Anansi will need greater freedom of screen layouts so the restricting MDI style interface is gone. All editors now display maximized only.
- The old toolbar has been broken up in two new toolbars. All buttons directly related to HTML coding are placed on a toolbar close to the editor. All remaining buttons are on a toolbar close to the menu. Display of the toolbars is optional.
- There are two new browser related buttons. One of them gives access to the known Get URL function already available at the contextmenu of the editor. The other gives access to the new Open From Browser function, which will open the page showing in the browser for editing in Anansi.
- Syntax Highlighting has finally arrived (32 bit version only).
- Editor Side Includes lets you insert complete files. This can be very handy if you maintain multiple versions of the same site or if you want to use the same header or footer files for all pages.
- Saving of files does not make .bak files anymore. Saving of .bak files may be added as an optional feature in a next release.
Back to the main page of Anansi.
Mail Harry Bosma at email@example.com.
Sponsored by Alchera dream software & Better Seeker.